Sola is a Christian ministry to hikers on the Appalachian Trail.
The name “Sola” is inspired by the teachings of the Reformation:
- Sola Scriptura — The Bible Alone is our authority.
- Sola Grace — Salvation is by God’s Grace Alone.
- Sola Fide — Salvation is through Faith Alone.
- Solus Christus — Salvation is by Christ Alone.
- Soli Deo Gloria — All we do is for God’s Glory Alone.
What we provide for hikers:
- Clean overnight accommodation
- Shower (towel provided) and laundry (detergent provided)
- Free Wifi
- Food and gear boxes
- Free Bibles (in English and many foreign languages)
- Hiker library
- Refrigerator use
- Volunteer opportunity
- Trail knowledge and hiking assistance
- A place to park a vehicle if needed
- Conversation if so desired
- A short walk from Unionville Post Office, pizza place, and general store.
- Only 1/2 mile walk from the Appalachian Trail
- All as a donation-based ministry.
About the founders
Douglas Douma (trailname, Banzai) is a graduate of the University of Michigan, Wake Forest University, and Sangre de Cristo Seminary. He is an ordained minister in the Bible Presbyterian Church and author of “The Presbyterian Philosopher – The Authorized Biography of Gordon H. Clark.” He completed a northbound thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2013 and 500 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail in 2016. He enjoys reading theology and traveling to remote places. He came up with the idea of Sola – Appalachian Christian Retreat while studying for the ministry in seminary.
Priscilla (Vos) Douma (trailname, Hot Drinks) grew up in southeast Michigan where she was home-schooled and took weekly violin lessons for over 12 years. She became a registered nurse in 2012, has worked in various nursing jobs and served overseas among orphans. She love people and giving care to those around her. She also enjoys hiking, camping, running, baking bread, and drinking coffee (especially French-pressed)! Married to Doug in October 2016, they now live together in upstate New York.
Sola has joined up with Presbyterian Missionary Union (PMU) as our sending agency.
About PMU: Presbyterian Missionary Union Presbyterian Missionary Union is a non-profit missions agency associated with the Bible Presbyterian Church. We desire to advance the cause of missions — both domestic and foreign — that are biblically based and practiced and to stand against any compromise of the saving gospel of Jesus Christ. PMU is directed by a Missions Council of Christian ministers and elders who voluntarily give their time to guide the ministry. Founded in 1985, PMU strives to assist the Church in fulfilling its missions ministry in the Reformed tradition: zealously heralding King Jesus in all the world, depending upon God’s sovereignty, preaching the whole counsel of our covenant God, and guided by the Doctrines of Grace.
You can read more about our work with PMU here: https://pmumissions.org/doug-priscilla-douma/